Wedding Cakes & the 99
Don't forget to check out the MTL Summer Playlist - eventually we will dive into talking about a few of those songs.
Okay, listen up those of you who have ever had your best day suddenly hijacked in a moment’s notice by that one thing that went wrong.
You know what I’m talking about... everything, literally EVERYTHING is great. Then that one thing comes along and dictates the mood or feeling for the entire day from that point forward. 99% of the day was good, but somehow that 1% took over and ruined it all.
I watched a wedding coordinator execute a stunning wedding for a young couple. If you haven’t seen what these coordinators do nowadays, it’s pretty intense. They run the show from the top to the bottom and infuse the entire event with their sense of style and their sense of calm to create an amazing wedding story. From the coordination to choosing the site to being the last person to leave, this specific wedding coordinator I’m talking about did an excellent job even when plan B intruded.
Let me just quickly mention, that no wedding actually goes according to plan. There’s plan A- the “perfect” wedding. Then there’s plan B- what really happens and is truly good. Sometimes there’s plan C which we won’t even mention. I simply try to assure couples to stress less about the “perfect” wedding, and embrace the day as their own chapter of a new story... to let it breathe and become something unique and extraordinary rather than something desperately attempting to live up to a picture of perfection. I also tell them, “Hey, at the end of today, you’ll be married.” That always seems to make them smile and remind them of the true intention of the day.
Back to our coordinator- just prior to the wedding beginning, she realized that wedding cake had not yet been placed on the table. So she went to track it down. Turns out the venue told the couple that they outsourced wedding cakes and the coordinator had all along been under the impression that the venue was preparing one. In other words, NO CAKE. At this point I would also like to mention that the venue itself was pretty much off the grid with no cell phone service because it was remotely located about an hour up into the mountains on a bumpy dirt road at an old rustic ranch. So realistically getting a cake would take at least two hours if the time of day and immediate rush didn’t present enough of a challenge. The wedding coordinator felt horrible- I’m talking depths of despair. And even though she did figure it out in the end, the day was tarnished.
Plan B set in bringing with it a small 1% surprise... the other 99% was planned and truly A-mazing! Big picture- the wedding was a success, a true hit. But the coordinator couldn't see it... couldn't believe it.
And I totally get it.
Why do we allow the wedding cakes to overpower the 99?
Why do we let the 1% persuade us to believe anything but the truth?
How can we not see the big picture?
Before I left, I made sure to tell the wedding coordinator how proud she should be of herself and that she did an excellent job... because she did!
I hope that through whatever you’ve experienced or whatever you’re in the middle of or what's coming in the near future, that the 99% speaks the loudest and clearest to you. May you hear the truth over the 1%. and may your plan B be just as sweet even though it wasn’t necessarily planned.
Leave a Reply.
These posts offer further reflection on topics we tackle during MTL nights.